Get Fit Naperville is a grass roots initiative to inspire a healthier and fitter community. Our goal is to build a community of fitness minded people within the area. Get Fit Naperville is your one stop to find fitness, health and wellness resources within the Greater Naperville area.

Saturday, February 13, 2010

Hoarfrost

A few weeks ago my husband and I were driving from the Minneapolis, Minnesota area to Rochester, Minnesota.  It was a beautiful morning and I was admiring the frost on the trees and commented about how breathtaking the countryside was.  My husband (who is king of useless information) said "Oh, you mean the hoarfrost."  I had never heard that term so I looked at him with my "special - what are you talking about" look, and he went on to explain to me what hoarfrost is.  I was still skeptical about whether he really knew what he was talking about or was just trying to pull one over on me until everyone we ran into in Minnesota commented on the hoarfrost. 

Each time someone would use the term "hoarfrost", my husband would just glance over at me and shrug his shoulders with HIS "special - see, I do know what I'm talking about" look, and we would kind of chuckle.  I did my own personal study and it seems that everyone in Minnesota knows what hoarfrost is but very few people in Illinois had ever heard of hoarfrost.  The only other person that I ran into in Illinois who knew the term hoarfrost is my son-in-law (who may know more useless information than my husband).

So, for those of you who have never heard of hoarfrost - here is the definition:  Frozen dew that forms a white coating on a suface.  It is one of the most beautiful sights you will ever see!


No comments:

Post a Comment